Chicken & Mushroom Puff Pie
This is just what you need on a cold night. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan.
- Season the chicken to taste and fry for 5-8 mins until golden brown, turning occasionally.
- You may need to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Lift the chicken onto a plate and tip the bacon into the pan.Fry for 5 mins until crisp.
- Add the onion, mushrooms and thyme, then fry on a high heat for another 3 mins until the onions start to colour.
- Tip the flour into the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- With the pan off the heat, gradually stir or whisk in the stock, followed by the milk, then add the chicken back to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 mins.
- Spoon the filling into a large pie or baking dish (approx 20 x 30cm) with a lip and leave to cool.
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
- On a floured surface, roll the pastry to the thickness of two £1 coins.
- Cut a long strip as wide as the rim of the pie dish and, using a little of the egg, fix to the edge of the pie dish.
- Brush with egg, then lift the rest of the pastry over the pie, using the rolling pin to help.
- Gently press the edges with your fingers and trim with a sharp knife.
- Brush lightly with egg to glaze, then bake for 30 mins or until the pastry is risen and dark golden brown.
Chicken & Mushroom Puff Pie ingredients
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cut into large pieces
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 250g pack baby button mushrooms
- handful thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml chicken stock
- 200ml milk
- 500g pack fresh puff pastry, or frozen and defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
Check out our list of Locally Farmed Poultry we have available.